Stuffing Birds Inside Each Other; What I've Watched on Television; Other Updates

Big shout out to my brother, who has commented from a Syrian prison cell internet cafe that the first thing you find if searching for Coq au Trice is a post saying I've talked about it in the past. Well, here's another, but with linkage to the recipe; another useful link, with pictures of how to bone a turkey etc. and stuff it.

--

Last night I watched Matthew Collins program This is Civilization in which he examines civilisation through art (and, obviously enough, art through civilisation). There's much of interest (this first program was about religion and art and civilisation and their intersections), but the thing that struck me that wasn't obvious was the placing of the adverts (two very early, after his first two brief sections, then one late on) and his acknowledgement of the adverts in the program. I think this is part of his focus on what art physically is; that sublime painting you fell in love with is reflected light from painted marks on a flat canvas; that divine statue of a Apollo is a shaped lump of marble or bronze[1]. In the same way, this television program is a program paid for and built around the adverts. At least that's my take on it.

--

I think I've now watched 10 episodes of Dexter in a row[2]. I'm not going to talk about the most obvious things (there are 10,000 other websites for that), but instead say that Dexter (the character) protests too much. I mean he is an emotionless psychopath[3], but the way he always talks about not feeling anything, then talks about Harry or Deb[4]... well anyway. And the use of explosive Latin Jazz at moments of suspense or horror is excellent.

--

The Helicopter Music Competition isn't dead, merely resting. The video to the Stereophonic's The Bartender and the Chief is based on a couple of sequences from Apocalypse Now, but for some reason the video doesn't appear to be online. Which is a pity as it would make a good spacefiller until I get around to doing things properly.

--

And what of Friday Five, or rather Sunday Six? I'll get around to that in about two hours.

[1] Note the absence of the word "just".
[2] So much for my inability to commit to things. Partly, of course it's because FX put it on about 10 times a week, making it easy to catch the next one. I managed 7 consecutive episodes of Heroes as well, although that was two double-headers and a triple-header (or watched 3 times in 6 weeks).
[3] Not a spoiler; this is the very heart of the show.
[4] Deb (Jennifer Carpenter) looks very like the current incarnation of Mel C. Yes? No?

Comments

Popular Posts