Mixed Spice And Cheese Wrapped In Bacon

I made mincemeat, back when I did the stir-up Sunday post. What I forgot was that there wasn't any mixed spice when I made it. So I mixed my own, and it smelt like mixed spice and the mincemeat is pretty good, if I say so myself.


Mixed Spice

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon ground coriander
1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/3 teaspoon grated nutmeg
a few cloves

Put the cloves and caraway seeds in a pestle and mortar and grind up until they are a fine powder, or you get bored. Add the powdered spices and grind a bit longer. Make sure it's evenly mixed. Makes a bit more than 2 teaspoons of mixed spice.

In other recipe news, Stan was asking about cheese wrapped in bacon. The rest of us think he may have dreamt it, but Google is free so I had a look. The most obvious thing from looking through the first few result pages for the string cheese wrapped in bacon is that people love stuffing "things" with cheese and then wrapping those "things" in bacon. Popular "things" seem to include hotdogs (yuck[1]), dates and chicken fillets (yum). Still top two, just cheese in bacon:

Pan fried mozzarella wrapped in bacon with chutney and sesame seeds - I've seen this chef on TV and he generally seems to have an idea of what he's doing.

Goats Cheese Wrapped In Bacon - I can't vouch even as half-heartedly as for the previous one but the recipe looks simple and easy and makes sense.

Baked Cooleeney Wrapped in Bacon - I've never heard of Cooleeney before, and it's not helped by being spelt "Cooleney" on that page. It looks to be Irish, but I'm not doing a great deal of research on this.

After that Google goes quiet for a few pages recipe-wise, although I found a page where someone was preparing for Christmas smoked cheese wrapped in bacon, halloumi wrapped in bacon, 2 types of stuffing wrapped in bacon and sausages wrapped in bacon (Pigs in Blankets? - it was talking about these that lead Stan to asking about cheese wrapped in bacon) and they're threatening to do roast potatoes wrapped in bacon, which will either be terrible or genius and I don't know which.

So cheese wrapped in bacon: is Stan in a coma, mad, back in time or just drunk? The jury is still out.

Update: If you google for "cheese wrapped in bacon" this post comes up on the first page now. As a summary of google posts about cheese wrapped in bacon, that's pretty ungelpful. Sorry if that's how you got here.

[1] I say yuck, but for all I know a cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped, battered and deep-fried hotdog could be delicious. I feel the experimental method coming on...

Comments

Popular Posts