Conversations

Waterstones Bookseller: When I read the first line, I just had to smile.
Me: You know, the intersection of people who like zombies and like Jane Austen seems bigger than anyone would have thought*.
Bookseller: Some people were a bit sniffy about it.
Me: Well, it can't be any worse than those bloody awful sequels people were writing a few years back.
Bookseller: You're right there.

I'd been resisting buying Pride and Prejudice and Zombies because the publicity had included the following diagram telling me that this was right up my street.

Am I really so predictable? Apparently so.

I had another conversation on the bus on the way home.
[Ex-pupil]: Hello Sir. What are you doing out here?
Me: What am I doing here?
[Ex-pupil]: Oh right. You live out this way.

This was especially aggravating as I've been catching that bus** since before that kid was born.

* I should note that I've previously had a conversation of with the many and varied links between Jane Austen and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Of course that could just be me.
** Not that actual bus*** but that bus route. Although the route has changed slightly in that time, it's the same number bus and it goes from the same stop to the same station.
*** On that journey. The one on the way out might easily have been on the road for 20 years.

Comments

Popular Posts