Mean Lasagne

Traditionally in Italian cooking, Pasta is cheap and meat is expensive. This is why the pasta course comes before the meat course, so that you are filled up on stodge and a smaller portion of meat will still be satisfactory. For economical cooking we want to maximise the pasta:sauce ratio; obviously for good cooking, at some point we reach the point of diminishing returns.

Anyway last night I made a four layer lasagna, or in other words there was twice as much pasta as I used to use, but no more meat sauce (there was more cheese sauce, but I always used to run out until I started to take lasagna seriously).

I have previously discussed lasagna here which has a recipe that is a sibling to the one I used yesterday, and my thinking on lasagna two and a half years ago.

Comments

Popular Posts