I Cook Food: Candied Ginger

No crystallized ginger in the shop to make ginger cake. Concious mind awakens back at home where I am adding fresh ginger to sugar syrup and asks "Do I actually know how to candy things or have I just watched guys on TV?". Scientific method suggests that whatever the situation before I do now know how to candy things as these are firey-sweet awesome.

Candied Ginger

80g of root ginger, peeled and cut into small chunks
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons water

Put the water and sugar into a small saucepan. heat over a low flame, stirring occasionally. When the sugar is mostly dissolved, add the ginger. Continue heating and occasionally stirring until there is about half as much liquid as you started with (probably 10-15 minutes). Allow to cool before eating, but if you're using them in a cake, you can just plonk them in.

Comments

Popular Posts