365 Poems in 365 Days: Fighting Robots

This poem is heavily inspired by a poem one of my fellow students on the creative writing course wrote. Hers was better, obviously (it was about the Greek root of words and Philadelphia; mine is below and is concerned with other things), but as she hadn't had time to make copies, I only heard it in class and so do not have the words. In which case why not write my own.

Fighting Robots

You might think this is a relationship poem, but it's not.

This is a poem about fighting robots.

It looks like I've written about all the disagreement and
How you forgot what my favourite song was and then had a band
Play some jollyed up Joy Division on my birthday, but it's not.

This is a poem about fighting robots.

I could talk about that trip away, our first holiday as
A couple; you were excited to show me, as it was
A place you knew well, but things went wrong and now Amsterdam sucks
And it's all my fault and not you eating that undercooked duck
After I mentioned the blood coming out to you, but I'm not.

Instead I'm talking about fighting robots.

(With thanks, and apologies, to Laura and her poem This Is Not A Relationship Poem)

Comments

Popular Posts