365 Poems in 365 Days: Chips and Pregnancy Horror Stories

This, number 35 of 365, is a true story. No really.

I don't love chips, I just say that I do so they'll come home with me
Last time I went to the chip shop was close to closing for my Sunday tea
I had to wait for them to be cooked so the girl serving and I had a chat
I told her I had lots of pregnant friends so tried to avoid pregnancy horror stories and that
She told me about something she's seen on some TV show
About a woman who got pregnant and didn't want her family to know
So she hid it and when the time came refused to push and stopped the contractions
Then kept her secret for fifty seven years without adverse reaction
And then died, still carrying her dead unborn child... maybe I'd better stop.
But does anyone else have conversations like this when they go to the chip shop?

Comments

Popular Posts