I Watch Films: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is a film new to me in 2018

So King Arthur was a dark age warlord. A dark age warband can be considered, or perhaps translated into modern terms a gang. So why not King Arthur as a gangster movie?

Meanwhile, lets have lots of crazy magic, maybe giant snakes and elephants and a tentacle god that grants wishes and keeps the dead, and a fiery demon warrior.

I mean I like Arthur as the gangster who protects Londinium from the brothel he grew up in. (His attempt to tell a story to the guard captain-cop is an excellent piece of Guy Ritchie fast talking crime nonsense; meanwhile the time-passing, growing up montage is extremely effective). And I like giant elephants attacking the ridiculously high viaducts that lead to Camelot. I just don’t think that they work together well.

Also not so keen on the Arthur needs to get over his problems to learn how to use Excalibur* story. Seems a bit clichéd and non-Arthurian.

Watch This: For exciting action sequences and clever and witty fast-talking conversations. Also for a genuinely new and different take on King Arthur I guess.
Don’t Watch This: If you want something coherent, or want something that goes back to either the historical or the mythical sources.
Also: It has been 32 days since King Arthur was last mentioned on this blog.



* I don’t mind that Excalibur is again the sword in the stone AND the one that is given by the Lady in the Lake, but given a preference I’d rather have more magic swords floating around than less.

Comments

Popular Posts